Suffering from Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis and osteopenia occurs when bones lose minerals, such as calcium, more quickly than the body can replace them, causing a loss of bone thickness (bone density or mass).
Regular physical activity and exercise plays an important role in increasing the size, strength and capacity of our muscles. It is also very important in increasing our bone density.
The most important factors in exercise and osteoporosis are:
- Resistance training for osteoporosis to increase bone density and strength is very important in combating this condition
- Weight bearing exercises for osteoporosis are essential
- Frequency and consistency- it is recommended that you do at least 2 sessions per week
- Osteoporosis home exercise program is important to complement your resistance training
- Balance leads to a reduced risk of falling which in turn decreases risk of breaking a bone
Arana Hills physiotherapy runs the strong bodies program to help combat the effects of osteoporosis and osteopenia. This is run by our team and involves the following:
- Initial 60 min consultation and orientation to the 4 major exercises used in the program
- Home exercise program to complement the gym based program
- Depending on your level of experience, 1- 2 follow up sessions to get familiar with the exercises
- Supervised small group sessions, 1 – 3/week depending on availability of session
- Health fund rebates apply.
Three Stages of Treatment
Pain is often the last symptom to arrive and the first to go. This often tricks the owner of an injury (you) into stopping treatment before the underlying causes have either completely resolved or you are in control of them. Without getting to this point there is a risk of re-injury.
As a result we look at your treatment over three phases to get the best result
Listen to how your problem happened and how it is affecting you.
Posture and if it influences your symptoms.
Low back, thoracic & hip mobility.
Individual joint movements at low back and SIJ.
Muscle strength in your core and hips.
Nerve testing in the lower limbs.
Specific to you.
Understand what is going on and why.
Personnel and targeted treatment to get you out of pain using a combination of manual therapy, education and exercise.
Get you moving well as soon as possible.
Prevent recurrence of your injury
Lifestyle, strength and exercise programs
Building confidence and resilience by putting together a program for you to get the results you want